Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Pandemic travel - June 1, 2020

Using the kids blog to log in this very strange memory...


I never would have anticipated getting on an airplane in the midst of the worldwide Pandemic.  In fact, we had been contentedly making the most of our little rural village with long walks, rare trips into town and an amazingly sunny Cumbrian summer.   


Unfortunately, my mother passed away due to some other health issues, and I decided the need to be with my family in the states was the right choice.  I’m not quite ready to write the blog about mom, so this one is just about the travel :)













While not a major difference in normal pricing, the first thing to encounter was the significantly reduced availability of international flights.   Newcastle had nothing, travelling to Glasgow/Edinburgh would still require 30 plus hours of travel, and the best decision came to flying out of Heathrow.   We often joke, that to an American 200 years is a long time, but to and Englishman 200 miles is a long distance.  As an America, I wasn’t daunted by the drive down, and so away I went….  A bag packed with antibacterial wipes, hand sanitizers and masks.  Can you picture an M6 without traffic?  It was under 6 hours door to door to London, and not one stop for congestion.  I’m still in shock.  


But more shocking yet, was the Heathrow airport.  Normally a buzzing vibrant hub with shops a plenty.  It was an empty warehouse, all shops shuttered, no cafes open, nothing feels stranger that a Starbucks closed mid-day!   I was in luck to find a vending machine (the only option for food and drink), and got a bottle of water (which then was sanitized and hand washed) for the wait. I had been so unsure of the situation that I was still there my 2 hours early!   But with zero lines at check in, security or anywhere else, this proved to be some very quiet waiting time instead.  Masks were worn not by everyone, but by some of the personnel.  The security officers, yes, the check in and gate agents, no.  Balancing skills are required in this new normal as riding on an escalator or going down stairs while trying not to touch the handrail can be very difficult!  Opening a door without touching with your hands, but by far the most difficult skill is not touching your face!  I have never been so aware of instinctive mannerisms as I was on  this first trip out of my protected bubble. 









As the flight grew closer, and the gate remained empty, I started to wonder about the other passengers.  They slowly trickled in all wearing masks.   It is hard to acknowledge someone with a smile when you can’t see their face.  So, we all kind of looked at each other with a blank expression.  I think we will all need to practice friendly eyebrows soon.     The total number of passengers on this very large aircraft, was 8. 


    Due to my status as an American citizen, I am currently allowed to travel back whenever I’d like, but the US still has many restrictions in place.  After a thorough wipe down of my seats, screen and anything else I could think of, we were seated and ready. The pilot greeted us with a friendly “Good afternoon, I’d like to welcome you to our flight….  Actually, I’d like to personally welcome you.  Good Afternoon Mrs. Hogg” and individually listed all the passengers.  


After take off, we were allowed to move wherever we wanted within the cabin, so each passenger had several rows of personal space.  They continued with minimal food and beverage service, but it was limited to a prepackaged cold box, and a selection of drinks.   All delivered from a outstretched arm on a tray as far back as possible.   When not eating or drinking, everyone wore their masks, even though on this flight it was not announced that it was required.  Oh, and I accidentally named myself on the frequent flyer program....  







I connected flights in Chicago and the difference was astounding.   Not full, or all open by any means.  But the basics shops were selling, starbucks was open and the food court had 4 choices still serving!  People spaced themselves out away from each other to get a quick bite, and I took mine to an empty gate (and the cheese and chutney airline sandwich with mini cheddars didn’t quite hit the mark).  As there were more people, I think about 70% of them were wearing masks while walking around, but several still without.   


To clear customs, the US currently requires you to fill out a health screening form with your address in the US, as well as standard health questions, and then to identify if you had been in an associated list of countries.  I was asked by each level of clearance my reason for travelling into the US.  Because the UK was on the listed countries, I then had to see an extra level of health screen, questions were repeated, I was given a handout on the virus and restriction and my temperature was taken.


My final flight was a US Domestic airline, and it was announced there would be no in-flight services and everyone was required a face covering.   No one objected, but apparently a few people don’t understand that a face covering should also cover your nose.  On this flight they staggered the seats, so a person in the middle, and then the next role had an aisle/window, this flight was about half full.  A quick up and down, and I was in St. Louis.  More things open, more people without masks. 


Before seeing my family, I once again sanitized by bags, washed my hands, and waited until home and showered before getting proper hugs.   We were lucky for the fact that my sister, fatherand I have all been socially distancing and cautious, so for this trip, we made our little family bubble.  The plan to return to UK included another round of full lockdown for 2 weeks when I returned.


St. Louis has not been one of the epicenters of the virus, and is well on it’s way to opening back up.  Several of the similarities exist in guidelines, masks, hand stations, etc., but their restaurants are able to open again, including in room dining.   Most of their drive-through and take out restaurants had already been operating.   Already, I had a larger variety of food without leaving the car than I had in months! 





We spent the time together laughing, crying, exploring boxes of memories, and sorting and clearing as we all adjusted to our new normal.   We dined on a socially distant/ take out patio but mostly ate at home.   We maintained our social distance and a few friends were able to stop by, and sit several feet away on the opposite side of the fire pit.   I think America is more accepting of the family bubble…. Choosing your siblings or grandparents, and spending time together, but not extending that interaction to others.   This seems to be working well for the family groups I know, as it maintains the limited exposure, but also gives people the interaction that we are so desperately seeking at this point.   We stuck to social distancing, carried hand sanitizer, hand washed upon entering the house, and kept health at the forefront of our mindset.  


Two weeks later, I travelled again.  This time the “openness” wasn’t as shocking as I had been experiencing it as the normal for the last two weeks.   The lack of masks in public places still bothers me, as it is such an easy accommodation to protect ourselves and others, but a similar amount of people were not wearing them in the main airport.  I had a large meal distanced in the airport as my plan was to keep my mask on for as much of the long distance flight as possible.  Since UK isn’t as closed to incoming travel, I was expecting the return flight to have more passengers.  Again, our domestic flight required face coverings (and another group of people who didn’t wear them properly) and no in-flight service.


The gate for the long distance flight already had more people waiting than my whole flight on the way here, and it soon became apparent that this flight had many people connecting to other countries as well.   The flight attendants spaced us out, once again, and this time instead of several rows, all of economy had a single row of 3 seats to themselves. The flight attendants had closed the back bathrooms and final two rows to staff only, giving themselves some safe space as well as preventing anyone from entering the food and drink prep area.   They had a regular heated meal service/ drinks on this flight and were wiping down the public services throughout the flight.   I chose to skip the meal and had a good nap.  Sleeping with a mask on, is also a strange sensation.




Upon entry to the UK, Dots on the floor marked social distancing at the lines for immigration, signs

Warned of temperature checks.  In reality, there was none.  They didn’t ask for my address, they didn’t check my health.  A quick- how long were you gone, and off I went to get my bag. 


Back to London, sanitized all the surfaces, and back into the car.   The two stops on the drive back in the service stations, I observed no one wearing masks in the public places.  I was the ONLY person.   This included staff and the other patrons.   There is plexiglass up on all the shops to protect the people, but I am surprised by the public lack of face covering

.  

Back home with my family, travelling clothes into the bag, a shower and lots of cuddles.  We’re grateful that I was able to go, we’re grateful that UK grocery deliveries are the norm, and we are especially grateful for the little rural oasis we call home.   The legos have been well worth the investment, a garden is a lovely thing to have, and my children have rediscovered each other as excellent play mates.  I’m grateful for everyone that helped my husband keep them alive and happy, and am working on starting this new normal with one less person to call on the phone.  And so, I conclude my unexpected travel adventure.

 












1 comment:

  1. Julie, so glad that you could go to be with your Dad and Ellen. I am sure it is/was enormously helpful to be together to share thoughts and grieving time. It's such a difficult time, compounded by baseline worries, vigilance and physical distancing.Glad the family back home "made do" without you and felt supported as well. You are in a good space with lots of love all around. Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete